The Good Life France Magazine

The Good Life France Magazine brings you the best of France - inspirational and exclusive features, fabulous photos, mouth-watering recipes, tips, guides, ideas and much more...

Published by the award winning team at The Good Life France

1 year ago

Issue No. 12

Sensational cities to tiny villages, food and wine, culture and heritage. Champagne, an aristocratic saffron grower, Anger, Montparnasse, Morzeine, Carol Drinkwater shares her passion for France. Gorgeous photos and fabulous features will transport you to the heart of France in this brilliant, free magazine...

What is a Carte de

What is a Carte de Resident – and how do I get one? For many people, the British vote to leave the EU was a shock, none more so than expats in France for whom the level of uncertainty over what comes next for them, is huge. Whilst MEPs in some EU countries openly support the idea of offering dual citizenship to residents, and facilitating the process, it seems unlikely that France will relax its stringent rules regarding the level of French language and cultural understanding currently required to qualify for naturalisation, leaving many wondering what they can do to protect their lives, homes and careers in France before it’s too late. But fear not, naturalisation is not the only option! The French carte de resident or carte resident longue durée UE, which is normally designed for 5+ year residents from non-EU countries, can also be obtained by British residents following application in person at your local Prefecture. Check with your prefecture before going in, as some have very specific instructions for example in Nice (PACA region) you must go to window Number 3, between 9 & 11.30. Like all French processes, applying for a card will mean lots of paperwork. When you apply for a Carte de Resident, you’ll need to take originals and copies of the following documentation: Your passport Recent proof of address (for example an EDF bill less than 3 months old or a recent rent receipt If you married in France, take your ‘Livret de famille’ If you married abroad, take your marriage certificate – accompanied by a translated copy which must be conducted by a traducteur assermenté (certified translator) Your full birth certificate, showing parents’ names – this must also be translated by a traducteur assermenté Proof of income Long term contract and last payslip, Or if self-employed take a recent extrait Kbis and your last company accounts or bilan Auto-entrepreneurs should take their ‘facturier’ – a list of the invoices you have issued in the previous year, in date order, including value Proof of Pension Income Your last two years of ‘avis d’imposition’ – tax bill for your household Your application form will be completed by a prefecture employee with you present. And, here’s a real bonus – whilst the UK is still part of Europe, this card is delivered free of charge, and without a requirement for speaking French. by Jo-Ann Howell at French Admin Solutions who helps expats settle into life in France. Find lots more information for expats in France on The Good Life France website

Copied successfully!