The Good Life France Magazine

The Good Life France Magazine brings you the best of France - inspirational and exclusive features, fabulous photos, mouth-watering recipes, tips, guides, ideas and much more...

Published by the award winning team at The Good Life France

1 year ago

Issue No. 25

In this issue, visit France from home - Gascony, and Provence, fabulous day trips from Paris, captivating Toulouse and charming Northern France. Recipes, guides and a whole heap more to entertain and inspire...

You can keep your UK

You can keep your UK investments in the UK, but they will now be taxable in France. Notify administrators of your new address. If you would like to know how your UK pension(s) will be treated in France and the tax efficient alternatives for your savings/investments as a French tax resident Jennie is happy to offer a free consultation. Let your utility providers and local authority know you’re leaving and ask for final bills. If you’re keeping your home in Britain and renting it out, you should inform your insurance company as your existing policy may not cover you for home rental. If you’re still paying a mortgage on the property, you should let your mortgage provider know. Your UK rental Income will remain taxable in the UK but must be declared on your French tax return. As there is a dual tax arrangement between the UK and France, it won’t be taxed twice (Brexit should not impact this arrangement) government/publications/non-residentlandlord-application-to-have-uk-rentalincome-without-deduction-of-uk-taxindividuals-nrl1 Make a Will. If you already have one, In France Get your paperwork in order, you’ll need to have a number of original documents – and take copies of everything. What you need depends on whether you’re retiring or working either as self employed or for a company. Essential documents may include: Birth certificate, marriage certificate, Tax returns (for two years), 12 months of bank statements, certificates of professional qualification (if setting up a business), driving licence. Some documents may need to be translated by an official translator. Open a bank account, it is increasingly difficult to pay for things without one if you live in France, most utilities are now paid online or by cheque. You can open a non-resident account before you leave the UK and notify the bank to change it to a resident account when you arrive. Sort out health care in France. For the first few months you can still use your EHIC (pre-Brexit, post Brexit has not been confirmed). Or sort out private healthcare. If you’re retired, your S1 Form currently enables you to claim back your healthcare costs (pre-Brexit). The French healthcare system has a great reputation but you may need to top up with private health insurance – this is normal, the majority of French people take out top up insurance. You should then return your British EHIC card and apply for your Carte Vitale which you need to take with you to all medical appointments in France.

Apply to the local CPAM (Caisse Primaire d’Assurance Maladie) for healthcare cover. Applicaton depends on your status eg retired, salaried worker, selfemployed. If you take your UK registered car with you, you’ll need to register it in France. There is currently a huge backlog to process applications. You’ll need to have various documents and make an application online at: If you’ve got kids, you’ll need to register them for school. There is more information on the UK Government website about applying for a residence permit when the transition period ends on 31 December 2020. Jennie Poate is a UK expat who has lived in France for several years and is a qualified financial advisor who has helped many expats to organise their finances and tax in France. Schedule your free no obligation consultation to find out if Jennie and her team at Beacon Global Wealth can help you.

Copied successfully!